Friday 10 February 2017

Personal Branding

Self awareness
One of the key areas which connected to my personal branding is self-awareness. Self-awareness is knowing about myself, understanding my strengths and weaknesses, needs and wants and knowing what others think about me.

Most people would know about their strengths, weaknesses, needs and wants. In communication, my strength would be the ability to effectively encourage others and giving them practical advice when they are unsure of their choices and decisions. To be a good encourager, it is not actually having the right answers and advice to their problems, but being empathetic, connecting to my friends, and listening in to their concerns, rather than just making a swift conclusion in diagnosing their problems. Sometimes, I feel that my strength also happens to be my weakness. As much as I am empathetic and able to give valuable advice, I do get impatient when one of my friend wallows in depression and is trapped in his negative mindsets when he has met with certain setbacks.

Johari Window
Definitely, everyone does not know everything about what others think about them. That is where the Johari Window, blind and unknown side, come into the picture. Similarly, I am unaware of many things and impressions that people form about me.

However, I do try to seek advice and feedback from my friends whenever I face a difficult scenario, and learn about their sentiments of how they would handle such situations. Through that, I learn more about myself, such as my temperament, and how it affects the way I handle and manage interpersonal relationships around me.

Reviewing the Johari Window, I do aim to learn more about myself, especially in the blind and unknown side. For instance, I hope to improve interpersonal relationships around me, using the right communication method for different people, so that I can effectively grow in my communication skills.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chantel,

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts on personal branding. I love the way you highlighted the importance of self-awareness and improving interpersonal relationships through the understanding of Johari Windows. I too agree that it is hard to be a good encourager especially when your friends are trapped in negative mindset.

    Perhaps we should let them deal with their emotions in their own time, and continue to check up on them after they have cleared their thoughts. In this way, he/she will know that they can call on us if they need to, and that we will keep up with how they're doing.

    I have enjoyed reading your post and I look forward to reading more of it in the future!

    With regards,
    Karine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karine,

      Thank you for reading my blog post!
      Yes, completely agree with you that sometimes, we just have to let them deal with their emotions at their own pace.

      Cheers,
      Chantel

      Delete